Monday, September 14, 2009

Pittsburgh Comicon 2009 Part 2

SATURDAY September 12, 2009 - Con Day #2



Saturday started poorly. I woke up still drunk from the night before. Corey was seriously assed-out so I decided to let him sleep until 8:30. I showered and got ready and decided to grab breakfast without him. I came back up to wake him up and he was not having it. I was starting to feel better but I knew he hadn't crawled in until way late so I decided to give him another half hour. Well, the little bugger got up at 9:30 after a shit ton of coercing.

We got to the con at 10:15am. Late. Joe and Phil took one look at us and just laughed. They knew it had been a long night. Saturday was Stan Lee day and a lot of us thought it was more of a curse than a blessing. It pulled in a lot of people but most of them dropped their $40 for an autograph and then didn't buy anything else. We made a little bit of money so I splurged and picked up a copy of Joe's
Joe Loves Crappy Movies TPB which I had been wanting for a long while now. Joe did an awesome sketch of Senator Palpatine who is a recurring character in the strip.



I actually managed to gather the stones to go over and talk to Danielle Corsetto. She ended up being extremely nice and a very lovely person. We just talked comics and technique and nonsense for a little bit before I retreated back to my table.

The day wound down so Corey and I decided to recover a bit and sleep until about 8:00pm. We then ran to Taco Bell for some chow. We headed back to the hotel so I could get ahold of Mr. Dunn regarding that evening's activities. I ended up heading to the Mariott with Joe and Phil for a couple beers. Corey decided to lay low since he was still feeling a bit under the weather. But at the Marriott I got to meet some new folks, Joe and Phil's friends Mark and Todd of Kill Joy Comics and Jorge Vega a writer known for his comics
9 Months and Bloody Pulp. We hung out and talked and joked. I honestly can't think of the last time I laughed so hard. The phrases "Fine mahogany" and "Melted smoothy" will never mean the same thing to me. Ever. We actually called it a night pretty early which was a good idea considering our ride home Sunday.



SUNDAY September 13, 2009 - Con Day #3
Sunday started on a much more positive note. We got up on time, got ready, packed up our bags and such and checked out of the hotel without incidence. We got to the con nice and early and snatched a great parking spot (which was great for loading up the car at the end of the night.)

We did much better financially and actually had a lot of fun. I did zombie caricatures which a lot of people seemed to dig on, did some sketches, and actually sold some books. We still had a lot of time to walk around to talk to people which was really nice. I made enough money to grab the first volume of Danielle's comic
Girls with Slingshots which I absolutely adore. She did an awesome little sketch in my book of McPedro. She even came over to our table for a little bit to check out what I was selling which was extremely cool.



So as the day ended Corey and I said our good-byes and packed up. Corey wanted to get something for his girlfriend so we ran back the Monroeville Mall where he picked up a gift and I got myself a Monroeville Zombie t-shirt. Since we actually made some money I decided we should grab some good food at Primanti Brothers. They're known for their sandwiches made with thick-ass Italian bread, provolone cheese, coleslaw, and french fries with pretty much whatever meat you can think of! I got the Capicola and it was to die for. If you are ever in the Pittsburgh area find a Primanti Brothers location and eat there! So Corey and I sit down and order and who walks in? Joe and Phil! They come over and sit with us while we all house our sandwiches.

Once again we say goodbye and head our separate ways. Corey and I headed to grab some gas and cigarettes and as I'm walking out of the convenience store I hear a horn honk and look up to see Joe and Phil standing at the goddamn gas pump. I just screamed "Stop following me!" they both just laughed. So we shot the shit for a few minutes while everyone filled up their cars and finally said our final good-byes.



The ride home actually was a bit shorter than the ride there since there really wasn't much traffic on the roads. We rolled in around 10pm.

Below is a list of people that we met at the show that you should totally check out because they are freaking awesome:

Digital Pimp Comics
Danielle Corsetto
Kill Joy Comics
Rat Tangent
Two-Fisted Press
Josh Warner
Josh Johnson
Chogger
Carbonated Comics

No comments: